There are a few options that you can choose from when it comes to replacing one or more missing teeth. These options include dentures or implants. When deciding which is the better choice for you, there are several things to consider such as the price, health of the jawbone and number of teeth remaining and personal preference. If you are looking to find out if you should get dental implants or dentures in Stamford, read on…
What are the uses of dentures and implants?
Ultimately, dentures and implants serve the same purpose and function, such as:
- Helping you to chew foods you might otherwise not be able to eat
- Help support facial muscles
- Help improve speech
- Increase self-esteem and reduce self-consciousness by giving you a better smile
Implants vs Dentures
- Procedure: To be able to get an implant, you must have sufficient space on your jawbone for the screwlike implants that are capped with crowns to be placed.
- Cost: Dental implants are more expensive than dentures. Though prices vary based on the location of the dentist’s practice and other factors, dental implants may cost between $1,600 and $2,200 per tooth.
- Maintenance: Dental implants require a standard method of cleaning which is brushing twice a day, flossing and regular checkups.
- Complications: Infections and mechanical problems (loose posts, cracked crowns) can occur with dental implants.
- Procedure: Dentures are removable and can be fitted into your mouth no matter how much bone is present.
- Cost: A complete set of upper dentures is a little more than $1,600, and complete dentures for the lower jaw are about the same.
- Maintenance: Dentures require more daily maintenance such as requiring to be taken out during sleep hours and soaked in water or special cleaning solution during that time.
- Complications: Dentures not staying in place and sores (ulcerations) forming on the gums.
How to decide?
Consider the following factors when making a decision:
- Bone density
- Function and feel
- Hygiene and maintenance
If you are in Stamford and you are looking to get either dental implants or dentures, we at Stamford Dental Spa have trained and highly experienced professionals that can provide you with the proper dental care you and your loved ones need. Give us a call at (203) 324-7777 to book an appointment.